Thursday, June 11, 2009

Writing Exercises

For the past few months, I feel like I've been getting a little more dumb every day. Guilty pleasures like reality TV, tabloids and online commerce have made me feel stagnant and not as sharp as I used to be.

I was reading an article and Will Smith said something along the lines of, (paraphrasing) "If you read and run everyday, then that day was productive because you've made an effort to better yourself both physically and mentally."

I can honestly say that I have not been productive on both fronts for the last few weeks. However, my daily reading intake has increased, and it's basketball season again, so I'm making an effort. In addition, I've challenged myself to do small writing exercises to try and keep me sharp. The only drawback is that I have problems finishing things that I start.

I originally started writing a player profile for Los Angeles Lakers player, Trevor Ariza, but didn't end up finish it. I decided to do a short "free write" type exerise as a baby step to writing longer things.

----------------------


Particles in Motion


Everyday, we pass each other -

Merging on the freeway,

Finding our gate at the terminal,

Standing in line at an amusement park,

And on the way to work.


We run, walk, stop, sit,

And talk.

We stop, drive, rush and bike,

To get from point A

To point B.


And along the way

We interact.


These interactions spawn new directions

And new destinations

That mean everything and nothing at the same time.


But in the grand scheme of the universe

We are constants and variables in life’s equation.

A means to an end – balance.


And in its simplest form, we are just, particles in motion.


-- Mark Gabriel


No comments: